San Marcos De Apalache Historic State Park
The first European known to have seen this point was Panfilo de Narvaez in 1528. In 1679 the Spanish started building the first fort on this site, using logs painted with lime to look like stone, but pirates weren't fooled by the camouflage. They looted and burned the fort a few years later. The Fort was later occupied by Spanish, British, Spanish again, then (for five weeks) by a force seeking to establish "the Nation of Muskogee," and Spanish yet again, before being taken over by Andrew Jackson in 1818. The fort passed back into Spanish control one more time before U.S. troops occupied it in 1821. In 1861 it was reoccupied by Confederate troops and named Fort Ward. The site became a permanent possession of the United States at the end of the Civil War. Facilities include a trail that leads visitors on a journey through the historic fort ruins. A visitor center containing exhibits and artifacts covering the area's history is built on the foundation of an old marine hospital.
148 Old Fort Road
- St. Marks, FL 32355
- 30.15204000, -84.21079500
- Visit Website