Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
1982 Votes - "Most Fun"
97 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
17 Votes - "Friendliest"
5 Votes - "Best for Geocaching"
1 Votes - "Most Patriotic"
1 Votes - "Best For Food"
In addition to its title as one of the Most Beautiful Small Towns in America, Jim Thorpe has been named one of the Top 50 Places to Live and Play, one of the Top 100 Adventure Towns and the most Fantastic Town for Fall. It’s a recreation destination, charming small town, and historic landmark all in one.
Visitors frequent Jim Thorpe from nearby Philadelphia and New York City for hiking, biking, white water rafting, skiing and sight seeing. The D&L Trail and Flagstaff Mountain provide a beautiful setting with nature and parks galore. Guests can additionally boat, fish, swim and camp near area lakes for a respite from big cities. When the snows start there are ski areas close by and cross country skiing.
The town’s businesses line the downtown hub with storefronts, galleries, bed and breakfasts and local eateries creating a scene perfect for a post card. Take a walking tour or carriage ride to familiarize yourself with the town, then choose from all the activities or just wander and soak up the Victorian splendor.
Sitting up on Packer Hill don’t miss two elaborate local landmarks, the Asa Packer and Harry Packer Mansions. the Asa Packer is a guided tour through the home of the famed industrialist. The Harry Packer is an Inn that was used as the model for the haunted mansion in Disney World and now hosts Murder Mystery Weekends and luxury lodging.
In the center of town, the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway runs excursions from Old Mauch Chunk Train Station while the Mauch Chunk Opera House, Old Jail Museum, Mauch Chunk Museum provide a glimpse into the past. A short drive away the No. 9 Coal Mine & Museum, and Eckley Miner’s Village give the other side of the life of the miners.
No matter what your idea of "fun", from riding the train, enjoying a museum, shopping, dining, outdoor sports or just kicking back, Jim Thorpe has it all every season of the year.
- Viagra Anziani viagra online Cialis Generico Preco Zithromax Family
- on October 11, 2017
- My wife and I traveled to Jim Thorpe this past weekend, Saturday, October 10th. Worst road trip we ever took. Traffic was packed up for miles approaching the town. When we finally got into town, there was no parking anywhere, not even within the scalper lots charging ungodly amounts of money to park. We eventually had to keep on going out of town. Very disappointing. This town needs to do something about traffic and parking. Needless to say we will never come back and we will advise all of our family and friends to steer clear of the place.
- on October 13, 2015
- In addition to all the great outdoorsy things that other people are writing about here, Jim Thorpe also has a bunch of cultural fun and many special events throughout the year that make it so wonderful to be here. There are several art galleries featuring local artists in all kinds of mediums, as well as a ton of quaint shops. Our Opera House has shows almost every weekend, so great live music (or theater or dance) is always an option. Two of the local pubs have been featuring live music, too, and sometimes a shop or gallery will have a special night - an 'opening' - with food/music. On President's Weekend there's WinterFest with ice carving demonstrations and Civil War reenactors, followed by a great Earth Day Fest in April, and then it's Jim Thorpe Birthday Weekend in May (something NO other place has), and in the Autumn we have Fall Foliage Weekends with thousands of people and music and vendors and food, and the year ends up with Olde Time Christmas when the town is decorated and people come enjoy the Victorian Village for the holidays. There is also a huge parade & party for St. Patty's Day, there are multiple 'car cruises' throughout the year, and almost every motorcycle 'road rally' or 'poker run' includes Jim Thorpe on the itinerary because it's such a fun place to stop. So I hope you'll see that in addition to so many adventure sports, Jim Thorpe is also a really fun town because there is SO MUCH going on all through the year. There are all kinds of ways to have a good time!
- on September 3, 2013
- i adore this town and so does my dad...we go up at least twice a year from new jersey...the people are wonderful and friendly and the shops are great....also the food in this town is great....their is so much to see and anyone you stop and ask a question to is more than willing to help you out...I would recommend this town to anyone...
- on September 3, 2013
- the 5 & dime store is a throw back to the days of a true 5 & dime store. They have wonderful things, from plain to fancy and at extremely fair prices. Sewing needles to lollypops and everything in between, need sock they got em, spray starch you bet and fun simple toys and games that require your brain not at battery.
- on September 3, 2013