2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
1822 Votes - "Most Fun"
86 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
48 Votes - "Friendliest"
3 Votes - "Best For Food"
2 Votes - "Most Patriotic"
1 Votes - "Best for Geocaching"
Lombard, Illinois is full of fun and exciting things to do and see! The Village, located about 20 miles from downtown Chicago, offers a variety of activities to engage the whole family. Lombard has beautiful homes, parks, schools, shopping, events and more that make it a wonderful place to live. There's no comparison to the pride that Lombard residents take in their community. May is known as Lilac Time in Lombard. The annual event includes the famed Lilac Ball and special events throughout the community - and culminates with the annual Lilac Parade down Main Street. The Arts and Crafts Fair and Spooktacular are downtown Lombard street festivals that generate thousands of visitors. Cruise Nights combines vintage cars and live music to become a summer staple. Taste of Lombard is an Independence Day tradition and boasts one of the most popular fireworks displays in the Chicago area. Lombardians enjoy outstanding library and park district facilities. The Helen Plum Memorial Library offers thousands of volumes and extensive programing, while the Lombard Park District has 17 parks and facilities totaling 450 acres for a myriad of recreational activities. The new Paradise Bay Water Park is an award-winning aquatic facility and a huge draw to the community. Lombard has historical sites such as the Lombard Victorian Cottage Museum, a newly constructed Carriage House and the Sheldon Peck Homestead. Lilacia Park is breathtaking with poetic appeal. Enchanted Castle Restaurant & Entertainment Complex is an entertainment complex with 60,000 square feet of kid fun. For older kids at heart, WhirlyBall provides an exciting game that combines basketball, hockey and bumper cars. Premier bowling lounge Lucky Strike and AMC Theatres at Yorktown are fun-filled diversions for visitors of all ages. Lombard is known for its shopping and dining scene, anchored by the 120-acre Yorktown Center. Lombard is a friendly Midwestern town and welcomes visitors. Come join in the fun!
- Lombard has festivals for everything. Ethnic fest: German, Italian, and Lebanese Fests. Seasonal: Jingle Bell Jubilee, Harvest Fest, & Taste of Lombard (4th of July). We even have a Fest for when our shrubs bloom: Lilac Time!
- on October 1, 2013
- Lombard is the essence of what a small town should be and seldom is. The Lilac Festival, the parks, the quaint downtown area are fun in a truly old fashioned and charming way. I have travelled all over the world, but still find Lombard one of the best communities to visit or live.
- on September 24, 2013
- I grew up in Lombard and am a former Lilac Princess. I just visited my hometown this past weekend. It has changed a little, but it's the same small town I remember! The people are friendly and growing up there was beyond wonderful! I miss the parade and the life-long friends I made living in Lombard. I am so happy to see that it's in the running for this honor. It is truly a FUN place to live and visit!
- on September 18, 2013
- Having lived near there for 40 years the whole DuPage county area is a refreshing experience from I-294 all the way to Route 59. Lombard has always been a town to remember for me but many other towns near Chicago have given me good reminders as well even if it's the 7th highest taxed county in the country. So much fun will be had by all.
- on September 16, 2013
- I have lived in Lombard all my life! If you can't find something fun to do here then you must never leave your house!
- on September 3, 2013