Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
1982 Votes - "Most Fun"
97 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
17 Votes - "Friendliest"
5 Votes - "Best for Geocaching"
1 Votes - "Most Patriotic"
1 Votes - "Best For Food"
In addition to its title as one of the Most Beautiful Small Towns in America, Jim Thorpe has been named one of the Top 50 Places to Live and Play, one of the Top 100 Adventure Towns and the most Fantastic Town for Fall. It’s a recreation destination, charming small town, and historic landmark all in one.
Visitors frequent Jim Thorpe from nearby Philadelphia and New York City for hiking, biking, white water rafting, skiing and sight seeing. The D&L Trail and Flagstaff Mountain provide a beautiful setting with nature and parks galore. Guests can additionally boat, fish, swim and camp near area lakes for a respite from big cities. When the snows start there are ski areas close by and cross country skiing.
The town’s businesses line the downtown hub with storefronts, galleries, bed and breakfasts and local eateries creating a scene perfect for a post card. Take a walking tour or carriage ride to familiarize yourself with the town, then choose from all the activities or just wander and soak up the Victorian splendor.
Sitting up on Packer Hill don’t miss two elaborate local landmarks, the Asa Packer and Harry Packer Mansions. the Asa Packer is a guided tour through the home of the famed industrialist. The Harry Packer is an Inn that was used as the model for the haunted mansion in Disney World and now hosts Murder Mystery Weekends and luxury lodging.
In the center of town, the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway runs excursions from Old Mauch Chunk Train Station while the Mauch Chunk Opera House, Old Jail Museum, Mauch Chunk Museum provide a glimpse into the past. A short drive away the No. 9 Coal Mine & Museum, and Eckley Miner’s Village give the other side of the life of the miners.
No matter what your idea of "fun", from riding the train, enjoying a museum, shopping, dining, outdoor sports or just kicking back, Jim Thorpe has it all every season of the year.
- Jim Thorpe is an amazing town and truly lots of fun!! As a local resident, I am so lucky to visit on many occasions... it is truly a gem for you to see and experience! Great food, shops and beautiful scenery. See you there!
- on August 26, 2013
- I have lived in some beautiful places but nothing to match Jim Thorpe. Every season holds its own splendor, especial the mountain's Spring bloom and Fall flame. Whatever I'm in the mood for : hiking, shopping, history, rafting, entertainment, a live nature experience... it's all here, and it's all close. The falls are spectacular, the lake shimmering, people friendly, variety of activities exciting. I just can't say enough. I love Jim Thorpe , PA .
- on August 15, 2013
- I moved to Jim Thorpe in 2008. It took only one quick glance at the town as we drove through it to know that I wanted to be a part of it! First, it's gorgeous.. but second, it's a ton of fun. There is no shortage of things to do. I've since become a wedding and event planner in the town and love it. I live in a place where many come for a "get away" and wish that they could live there! We are blessed to have such a beautiful, fun, vibrant town with some great people in it!
- on August 1, 2013
- Jim Thorpe is a picturesque town and as a photographer you never see the same thing twice. For those who LOVE outdoor sports you will not be let down, shoppers you have tons of chic-he types of shops, Night owls there are several awesome bars and resturants, and a good time can be had by all. Plus the surrounding towns have a lot to offer as well. Our area is loaded with history, natural beauty, and a great time. Check out our little piece of Heaven.
- on August 1, 2013
- lived her all my life (64 years) it's like being on a lifetime vacation / would not consider living anywhere else
- on July 22, 2013