2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
64 Votes - "Most Fun"
9 Votes - "Friendliest"
5 Votes - "Best for Geocaching"
2 Votes - "Best For Food"
1 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
A family-friendly college town, Denton hosts the University of North Texas, Texas Women’s University, and North Central Texas College. Young residents thrive in the arts and music scene while families enjoy plenty of parks and festivals, all of which culminate in Courthouse Square.
The downtown square is bustling with shops, eateries, entertainment venues and events. Visitors can shop, relax at a spa, eat to their hearts content and catch a live show or browse a gallery. In addition to the Courthouse-on-the-Square Museum, the town offers an African American Museum, a Firefighters’ Museum, the Bayless-Selby House Museum and Hangar 10 Museum. The universities host the majority of the dozen art galleries and walking tours are available.
Music entertainment ranges from Concerts on the Square and Twilight Tunes to the annual Arts & Jazz Festival in April. Also check out Denton Community Theatre, Dan’s Silverleaf, and the Center for Visual Arts for more local talent. These venues host film, storytelling, flower, holiday and blues festivals annually, plus concerts, tastings and art shows.
Denton’s also home to Horse Country with a number of local horse farms where visitors can tour and ride. Additional local tours include live music pub crawls, historic walking tours, a public art tour, and a sampling tour that combines museums, shopping and restaurants. See what else residents love about Denton in their reviews.
- I love Denton! I am Denton native, lived in 6 other states, but keep getting back to Denton. Make sure to visit our square and all the main streets that feed into the square. Visit the Love Shack whose chef is not only famous but native to Denton. So many great places to eat...too many to list. Two great universities, art, antiques, boutique shops, pubs, music, coffe shops...enjoy your visit!!
- on June 22, 2012
- How exciting that you will be coming to Denton. You are going to love it here! You simply must visit Rose Costume Shop. The "photo ops" will be out of this world (your tour guides can play dress up for hours, but the decor is so imaginative they may forget to try on costumes). Start your morning with a cuppa Joe from Jupiter House, breakfast at Loco Cafe, then don't miss out on BBQ for lunch from Rooster's. The museums and shops in town will delight you all day. When twilight comes, take a tour with Denton Haunts to find out about the ghostly side of town (talk about people who came to town and never left ---ever!). End your evening at Paschall's Bar, or Dan's Silverleaf, or the Oak Street Drafthouse. So much to do and so little time! We hope you enjoy your stay!
- on June 19, 2012
- Yay Denton! We do love our town and can't wait for you to love it also. Whether you check out 35Denton music festival or Jazz Fest, Dog Days or the Holiday Lighting Festival, to name a few, you will always find something fun and interesting to do. We have music, music , music, art, 2 Universities, food, festivals, Pedi-Cabs, the coolest used book store ever and generous, welcoming residents. Be sure not to miss the Downtown Square! Drop in, I'll buy you a glass of wine!
- on June 11, 2012
- Some of the friendliest people in the state.
- on June 4, 2012
- this town is full of hole in the wall bars and small town mom and pop resturants
- on June 4, 2012