Mandan, North Dakota
2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
3555 Votes - "Most Patriotic"
32 Votes - "Friendliest"
13 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
5 Votes - "Most Fun"
2 Votes - "Best for Geocaching"
Mandan takes their slogan, “Where the West Begins,” very seriously. The town started out as the village of the Mandan tribe and hosted Lewis & Clark on their journey. See the keelboat the explorers crossed the Missouri River with, Fort Yates and Double Ditch Indian Village where they passed through, and the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center.
If it is patriotism you are looking for, be sure to visit the North Dakota Veterans Cemetery, which is dedicated to those who have served our country in every branch of the military. The cemetery is located in Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park, where you can also find a reconstructed version of the former Fort Abraham Lincoln, the Custer House, and the reconstructed On-a-Slant Village for a look back into the Mandan tribe that once inhabited this land.
Visitors can also explore a zoo, art depot, and Native American reservations and landmarks. Mandan offers plenty of dining and shopping and outdoor recreation from camping, hunting and fishing to winter sports and a waterpark. Take advantage of golfing, kayaking, sledding, skiing or snowboarding.
With several community events each year, the most unique is Mandan Rodeo Days every 4th of July, voted the “Best Community Celebration.” Enjoy broncos, art, fireworks and the state’s longest parade. Find out more about where the West begins in Mandan’s reviews.
- Mandan is a great place to live and raise children. It is a fun-loving town and has many activities during the year for families.
- on August 6, 2013
- Mandan has an incredible parade/other events for the 4th of July. It's also a very friendly city, with a small town feel and great schools!
- on August 1, 2013
- Mandan is the best town in the Midwest. Everyone cares about one another, the kids are great and respectful and well-educated, and it's a beautiful place to visit or live. I miss it every day and make a point to get back and see it whenever I can. It's a lovely place that stays with you forever.
- on July 12, 2013
- Mandan has the biggest patriotic 4th of july parade in the state, they have the Lewis & Clark river route. Fort Lincoln state park. Lots of history
- on September 17, 2012
- Best 4th of July parade I know of.
- on September 17, 2012