2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
361 Votes - "Friendliest"
6 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
4 Votes - "Most Patriotic"
2 Votes - "Most Fun"
1 Votes - "Best For Food"
The Friendliest Small Town title only adds to Murray’s accolades as one of the 100 Best Communities for Young People and a Playful City USA recipient. Not only is this a prime location for young people as the home of Murray State University, it’s also certified as a retirement community and an ideal location for all ages with such friendly residents.
Murray State is a prime attraction in this small town. A public university with over 10,000 students, its presence provides athletics, art and entertainment for the entire community. The campus hosts The Clara M. Eagle Gallery, which features everything from photography and new media to woodwork, ironwork, sculpture and student art, and the Wrather West Kentucky Museum, which exhibits the regions history and development.
Visitors should not miss local landmarks like Murray Court Square and Central Park or area lakes and outdoor recreation. Central Park boasts a disc golf course, dog park, and theater classes, performances and youth programs through Playhouse in the Park. Kentucky and Barkley Lakes, connected by a canal, offer recreation, camping and attractions. From go-karts to water parks or fishing and hunting, the area offers something for everyone in a beautiful natural setting.
Hosting several seasonal festivals each year, Murray is best known for its annual Freedom Fest celebration, which includes street fairs, cookouts, concerts and a parade amongst the four days of events. People come from all over to join in the family fun, run the 5K, and view the fireworks finale.
Check out Murray's reviews for more!
- I have lived in Murray for 14 years and I love it! It is a great place to raise kids and was voted as one of the top 100 places to raise families. With the university and being close to KY Lake, there is always something to do. It is also beautiful, safe, and I have never encountered a problem with the police, ambulance service (which I have used), 911, or any other city or county service. The doctors and hospital have been great. I love living here.
- on August 7, 2013
- Murray, Ky is a wonderful place to raise your children!
- on August 1, 2013
- Murray should win for the Friendliest people!
- on July 22, 2013
- Best for food 100% try Jony pizza in downtown area .
- on October 5, 2012
- Murray definitely deserved the nomination! Loved it we traveled through!
- on September 17, 2012