2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
52 Votes - "Most Patriotic"
4 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
2 Votes - "Friendliest"
On top of being a Most Patriotic Town finalist, Duluth has won multiple City of Excellence awards and the Best of Gwinnett award in 2010. Founded in 1821 as a part of Gwinnett County, the citizens of Duluth take as much pride in the town's rich history as they do in its progress, hence the motto "Pride in Old and New."
Considered a suburb of Atlanta, Duluth has access to big city benefits while maintaining a small town feel. The town has retained this small town feel even with its phenomenal growth over the years. Duluth is also a designated Tree City because of the town's constant efforts to achieve an eco-friendly lifestyle. Duluth ranks 26th on Forbes' list of America's Best Places To Move.
The town is known for its variety of restaurants, namely the local favorite Rexall Grill, which is attached to Rexall Drugs. After a bite here, head to Crave Pie Studio for their famous Red White and Blue Pie. Don’t miss the Southeastern Railway Museum to see over 90 pieces of retired railroad equipment and to learn about Duluth's railway history.
Among the abundance of year round events, visitors will enjoy the Summer Stage concert series and the annual Duluth Music Festival each August, the No Reason Block Party, Duluth Staycation, and festivities for nearly every holiday. For more on this patriotic town, read locals' reviews.
- I love the City of Duluth, Georgia! I can't imagine living anywhere else. The Town Green is beautiful! The courthouse is spectacular...especially when they put all the flags out for Veterans Day and Memorial Day. I think the citizens of the City of Duluth are extremely proud of our city and our country!
- on August 1, 2013
- I've lived in Duluth for nearly 20 years and believe that this little gem in the middle of the Atlanta Metro Area is the only place I would want to be. Duluth is full of great people and pride. We have great entertainment and restaurants. We have events on the Town Green and many other family functions throughout the year. The flags along the highways placed out honoring our war dead is one of the most awesome things I have ever seen. Duluth is my home and I'm proud to call it so.
- on July 9, 2012
- From our Flags to our Festivals, Duluth GA is patriotic and utilizes our Town Green for family friendly events. In the Spring it is Barefoot in the Park... in the Fall it is our Fall Festival... and in between, we have Flicks on the Bricks, concerts and other community events. Honoring our veterans and the fallen soldiers with flags that line our roadways...and honoring those currently serving our country today through our living honorarium. We support our troops and those willing to put themselves in harms way.
- on June 28, 2012
- The downtown area is a mix of old and new construction and it is beautiful. They also, did not clear cut all the trees, they left some of the large, goregous oak trees. There is an outdoor amphitheatre and it is a wonderful place for outside concerts, and movies. During Memorial Day and other military holidays there are memorial flags displayed in the downtown area, as well as some other roads in Duluth. It always a moving time to pass by each of those memorial crosses and flags that represent those who have served our country. The last weekend in September is the annual Duluth Fall Festival, which is a large event that is kicked off by a parade on Saturday morning. The following Sunday morning there is a church service held outside and it is a lovely experience. The town is large and small, everyone doesn't know everyone, but you do usually run into someone you know as your travel around town. It is a wonderful place to raise children and the school systems in the city are great! There are wonderful people and great food in Duluth, too.
- on June 4, 2012
- Duluth is a beautiful small town with big town benefits. The patriotic display of flags in memory of servicemen that line the streets of the city for memorial day and veterans day are a wonderful reminder of what we owe to our service men and women. The beautiful town green offers many events throughout the year to celebrate the community spirit of the city. Many festivals, concerts, plays, movies, etc. offer both family and adult fun. The New Year's Eve celebration caps off the year's events. Many small botiques and restaurants are located within walking distance of the town green. The New Dawn theater, which is located on main street, offers great plays and entertainment events.
- on June 4, 2012