2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
203 Votes - "Most Patriotic"
2 Votes - "Friendliest"
2 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
- When we lose one of our own, the entire city comes together to show respect. The day we remembered Jesse Snow made me proud to say this is where I grew up, this is the community that I am proud to be a part of.
- on October 1, 2013
- A number of key Fairborn individuals play major roles as Board of Trustee Members for the Miami Valley Military Affairs Association (MVMAA) that supports military activities and special projects at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and the Springfield Air National Guard Base. The MVMAA is one of the nation's largest community military affairs organizations. This year's President (2012-2013) is Michael Mayer a prominent Fairborn attorney who also serves as the City Solicitor. Additional Fairbornites serving as board members are City Manager Deb McDonnell, Chamber Director Paul Newman, along with Board Past Presidents Jim Brown and Candy Prystoloski, as well as the current treasurer Steve Igel. Included among some of the most significant of the organizations numerous projects are financial support and participation in the welcome home ceremonies for returning service members (Heroes Welcoming Heroes), and fund raising for the Base's two Fisher/Nightingale Houses which provide homelike lodging for the families of seriously ill or wounded patients at WPAFB's Hospital. Since 1960, the Association has donated more than $65,000 to the houses.
- on October 1, 2013
- 9/26/13 - received an email today with pic, comments reads, ""AF Veteran Francis Conrad and his young family are receiving checks for their rent. They had moved to Fairborn for a new job but with moving expenses, etc. there was not enough money for the rent. Checks were presented by Marilyn McCauley, Operation Fairborn Cares and the US Veterans Motorcycle Club (Ohio Chapter) who collaborated to help the veteran. Because the veteran had not lived in the area long enough they were not eligible to get support from the Greene Co VSO. Operation Fairborn Cares is a community based not-for-profit organization established to assist OEF/OIF veterans as they leave the military and settle back into the civilian community, Welcome to Fairborn, Veteran Conrad and family." Fairborn on the 4th is a great place to be with a two day Independence Day Celebration. The City holds a July 3rd Block Party in downtown Fairborn from 4 pm to 10 pm and then a parade on July 4th at 10:00 a.m. with activities later in the day at Community Park including a number of bands and fireworks. Fairborn is home to Wright Patterson Air Force Base and pays great tribute to our men and women who have served and continue to serve our great country. Fairborn also was just declared to be a Purple Heart City at the July 15 Council Meeting.
- on October 1, 2013
- Fairborn, Ohio is home to Fairborn City Schools, Home of the Skyhawks! FCS has a strong relationship with our military and civilian neighbors. Fairborn welcomes military families and their children and when asked what is special about this patriotic town? Students enter the high school and are welcomed with open arms because the kids embrace the newcomers each year; and these kids become part of clubs and sports teams immediately. This doesn't happen in every school district-but it happens in Fairborn every year. Patriotic? Yes!! A warm and welcome arrival for students means that our schools support the military and welcome their children to become active in our school community. Our students learn from their life experiences and they learn that our school community is very special and supportive!
- on September 24, 2013
- My son was severely injured in Afghanistan 4 years ago, when he was able to return home after loosing both legs the city of Fairborn came together and gave him one heck of a welcome home parade, not to mention when Homes for our Troops wanted to build him and his wife a home here in Fairborn the whole town came out to help build his house. This town is the most patriotic place to live, people care about our soldiers in the military and our wounded warriors and their families.
- on September 20, 2013
Showing 1 through 5 of 16 reviews
Add a Photo
You must be logged in to add photos.×