2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
165 Votes - "Best For Food"
91 Votes - "Most Fun"
36 Votes - "Friendliest"
29 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
2 Votes - "Most Patriotic"
1 Votes - "Best for Geocaching"
Lafayette, the heart of Acadiana and the unofficial capital of Cajun Country, is a metropolis which displays an extraordinary mixture of tradition and progressiveness. Having a rich French heritage blended with Spanish, American, Indian and African influences, the city represents a colorful combination of lifestyles.
In Lafayette, the folks are friendly, the festivals are lively, and the cuisine is world-famous.
Festival International de Louisiane is the largest Francophone (French speaking) festival in the United States. This free festival began in 1986, and has been held every year since, in downtown Lafayette, with music, dancing, cuisine, theater, arts, crafts, and much more. In the fall we celebrate the rhythm of Cajun and Creole life at Festivals Acadiens et Créoles, another free event full of music, dancing and culture. And every late winter Lafayette comes alive with the timeless spirit of Mardi Gras.
Visitors come from around the world to sample our real Cajun and Creole cooking, just an oyster's throw from the bayou. Our restaurants are famous for traditional, down-home cooking, as well as more upscale versions of time-honored favorites. It's one reason why Lafayette was named the Tastiest Town in the South by Southern Living in 2012.
Allons a Lafayette, where the music is hotter, the cuisine is spicier and Mardi Gras is friendlier. We call it joie de vivre. You'll call it fun!
- Lafayette offers something for everyone! We have such fun during the year with free events like: Bach Lunch (music, cheap box lunches from local vendors ) during the lunch hour, Rhythms on the River (music on the lawn, dancin, & drinks for purchase), & on Friday nights - Downtown Alive! (with more music, dancing, food!) . Then there is Festivale International! It is top notch entertainment of bands from Canada & all over the world during April! U can Cajun dance every night of the week at several local restaurants too! We've got it good, sha! Luv me some boudin, crawfish, shrimp, crabs, pralines, you name it, we got it ya'll : )
- on June 4, 2014
- I've lived in NYC - Alaska and points in between. Lafayette IS the place to be. Very friendly people, awesome food, great fishing, good places to work and lots of stuff to do.
- on February 26, 2014
- Forget New Orleans, Lafayette is the true jewel in Louisiana!
- on September 3, 2013
- My vote will ALWAYS be for Lafayette. There's NO WHERES to get THE best fried oysters other than LAFAYETT,LA. Love the place and can't wait til I get back. Maybe in October "~"
- on September 3, 2013
- great place to live and visit, It has so much going on in the intertainment field
- on August 26, 2013