Watertown, New York
No votes for this town yet. Be the first to vote.
Watertown, in New York’s North Country, boasts a strong military presence because of nearby Fort Drum. There is an air of American pride in the town from the large number of veterans and families connected to the military living here. To catch the spirit of patriotism, visit Sackets Harbor Battlefield to tour the Commandant’s House and Navy Yard and see reenactments of the War of 1812.
There is something for everyone in Watertown from adventures to education. Learn about New York State's history visiting the library, museums and historic homes. Be sure to visit the 10th Division and Fort Drum Museum to learn about the history of Fort Drum as a military installation, the history of the 10th Mountain Division, and local military history. Additionally tour the Jefferson County Historical Society Museum and the New York State Living Museum at Thompson.
Visitors can choose from a variety of water sports on Lake Ontario or whitewater rafting on the Black River. The area offers diving, boating, fishing, hunting, golfing and snowmobiling seasonally. See wild animals at Thompson Park’s New York State Zoo and visit nearby St. Lawrence National Park Islands.
Find plenty of shopping at the Salmon Run Mall, any of 10 shopping centers and downtown boutiques. Take in the aerial view at the SkyDeck, go antiquing, or even take a ghost tour. See what locals love about Watertown in their reviews.
- The City of Watertown is a wonderful four season destination. With abundant outdoor recreational and family oriented activities, a vibrant downtown shopping district, a small-town atmosphere and excellent dining options, Watertown truly has something for everyone! Watertown is proud to be the home of Fort Drum and the 10th Mountain Division. Thousands of soldiers and their families call Watertown home, and we are proud to support them in all their efforts.
- on September 17, 2012
- Watertown has been my home all of my life. I have watched it grow from a small, rural dot on a map to a magnificient place to raise my children. As I have become more integrated into the community as an adult I become increasingly proud of the community and the people that make up this wonderful city. Kind, caring and overwhelmingly supportive of our men and women in uniform. There is no other place for miles that is more patriotic than Watertown, NY.
- on June 12, 2012
I moved to Watertown, NY about three years ago to take a position running an FM radio station located in town. Since then, my position has provided a venue to be continually amazed at how supportive this community is when it comes to all it invests itself in... one of those many things is the pride and seriousness it takes in having Ft. Drum and the 10th Mt. division right next door.
The men and women in uniform hat have been our neighbors and friends for so long deserve to be recognized for their unending commitment to serve their nation and protect those they love at home and abroad.
Thank you to all of our service members. Not just for their service but for the many contributions they make to this area each day.
- Tim Sweeney (GM - TUNES 925 FM / Intrepid Broadcasting, Inc.)
- on June 12, 2012
- Watertown is very proud of it's history and it's strong relationship with the United States military, particularly those Army, Air Force and Reservists on Fort Drum.
- on June 4, 2012
- No one supports the military like this community, where we've integrated the military population of nearby Fort Drum into our neighborhoods, our schools and our lives. Watertown is what it is today because of the military and we couldn't be happier about it.
- on June 1, 2012