2012 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ended: May 16, 2012
5 Votes - "Friendliest"
1 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
Woodward, Oklahoma is located on the eastern edge of the Oklahoma and Texas panhandles. Before settlers arrived in 1887, the area was home to Kiowa, Comanche, Cheyenne, and Arapaho tribes. The town is rich with history, from Indian wars to natural disasters, to the rise of the Oklahoma Oil Industry. Community residents are well known as very friendly, hospitable people who stick together through good and bad times.
Visitors should make a stop at the Veterans Memorial Center or the Plains Indians & Pioneers Museum to get a taste of history. For outdoor fun, head to Rotary Park, or to the Goetzinger Walking Trails for seven miles of scenic views.
The community takes pride in its eco-friendliness and commitment to clean, sustainable energy. Woodward serves as a hub for renewable energy, with 38,000 megawatts of wind power in development.
Community residents enjoy cultural entertainment at both the Woodward Arts Theatre and Jose Adams Cultural Center. The theatre was originally built in the 1920s and restored in the ‘80s.
The citizens of Woodward and an incredible number of volunteers from all over the state and country have helped cleanup and rebuild from the recent tornadoes so the town can continue moving forward. We hold a special place in our hearts for Woodward, one of the 2011 Friendliest Small Towns in America, and would like to direct anyone willing to support them in their time of need to the Woodward Community Foundation, the official repository for contributions to help the victims of this disaster.
- Woodward will always be my home, ever though I don't live there any more. I love this town, it has everything you could want. It has good shopping, great places to eat, and fantastic people. This is a wonderful place to live or visit.
- on July 16, 2011
- I have lived in Woodward all of my life and i just love it. People are so generous. It's a great place to start a family. People would even stop to help you charge your car with THEIR jumper cables.
- on July 13, 2011
- Woodward is a jewel in NW Oklahoma. Not only are the people friendly like everyone is saying, but it is also business friendly. As a local entrepreneur, Woodward is a great place to start a business or to bring in existing ones. Its economy has lessened its dependence on the surrounding oil industry (which is still great for the town) and can sustain itself through a variety of other sectors. It is a wonderful place for work and family.
- on July 8, 2011
- I conduct research in courthouses all over northwestern Oklahoma. The Woodward courthouse is one of my favorite to work in. Everyone there is extremely friendly! The ladies in the district court offices are wonderful and welcoming! And the courthouse is very beautiful!!
- on July 4, 2011
- I've recently been to Woodward and found it to be a very nice place with incredible people. It's the kind of place where everyone says hello with a smile and folks still extend small courtesies towards each other whether they know each other or not. I plan on returning to Woodward soon.
- on May 30, 2011